Cursus Program on Composition and Computer Music
The IRCAM Cursus is a unique computer music training program for young composers. Throughout the year, from October to September of the following year, students will acquire a solid technical autonomy and fluency in several computer programs, oriented towards artistic creation.
Composers will follow courses on IRCAM’s softwares for music composition (Max, OpenMusic, Modalys, TS2, Spat, etc.) in a wide-ranging and productive environment based on exchanges and encounters with researchers, programmers, sound engineers, computer-music designers, and composers working in our labs and studios as well as guest artists, in dialogue with the activities that are at the heart of our institute.
Led by the composer associated with the Cursus, Pierre Jodlowski, the training also opens the way to an interdisciplinary perspective to composition and features a hands-on approach in studio and collective workshops around image, movement, text and improvisation. Students are encouraged to develop a personal research around these practices, in order to extend their dialogue with other artistic fields. The Cursus is meant to include all practices and approaches that foresee the use of technological medium.
In order to validate the skills acquired throughout the program, during the workshops taking place at the end of each unit, students present their mini projects. These are also meant as preparatory steps towards the production of their final project, which will be presented during the IRCAM season program in September 2024.
Through a partnership with the Conservatoire supérieur de musique et de danse de Paris (CNSMDP), the Haute École de musique de Genève (HEM), the Académie supérieure de musique de Strasbourg-HEAR, the Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Lyon (CNSMDL) and the Pôle supérieur d’enseignement artistique Paris Boulogne-Billancourt (PSPBB), students enrolled in a Master’s degree in composition in one of these establishments can follow the first year of their degree in IRCAM’s Cursus program.
IRCAM is a partner of the Cité internationale des arts for the residencies of the composers of the Cursus 2023-2024.
The Cursus in Brief
- 364 people trained since 1990
- with 50 nationalities represented
- 50 public performances of Cursus pieces as part of IRCAM's concert season
- Since 2016, 37 commissions awarded to composers within 4 years of completing their training
Cursus Educational Team
Simone Conforti, Jean Lochard, Grégoire Lorieux, Sébastien Naves, Johannes Regnier, Claudia Jane Scroccaro
computer-music designers lecturers
Pierre Jodlowski composer associated with the Cursus
Philippe Langlois education department director
Murielle Ducas educational coordination manager
Contact 01 44 78 48 17 | cursus (at) ircam.fr
The 2023.24 Class
Selected Composers for Cursus 2023.24
Bernat Pont Anglada
Apply to the Cursus Program
The call for applications for Cursus 2024.25 is closed
Next call for applications for Cursus 2025.26: Summer 2024 - December 2024
Applicants must be under 37 years old.
There are no applications fees
General Terms and Conditions
- June 28, 2023: Applications can be submitted;
- December 5, 2023: Application deadline;
- December 2023-February 2024: Selection process;
- Communication of selection results for Cursus 2024-2025: mid-February 2024
Following the selection:
- Beginning of March 2024: The candidates selected for the Cursus program have to confirm their enrolment by email;
- March, 2024: Further details of the Cursus program 2023-2024 and general conditions of the training course will be sent to the participants;
- March-April, 2024: After the candidate’s acceptance of the terms and enrolment, a contract will have to be signed between IRCAM and the participant, and a deposit of 600 euros will have to be paid before April 30, 2024.
Your dossier must include:
- A copy of valid ID or passport
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The list of professional experiences and awards
- A cover letter
- One or several letters of recommendation
- Three recent works, at least one with electronics (score, audio recording, video, etc.)
- The URL to download a patch for one of your compositions (Max or any other real-time software) from the platform of your choice. Remember to give a permanent URL that does not require a password.
For non-Francophone applicants: a copy of your TEF exam (level B2) or equivalent diploma or any other document proving an equivalent level of oral comprehension.
Conditions for Applicants and Selected Candidates
10 places are available
Registration fees: 2,000€ (includes the Premium Individuel membership to the IRCAM Forum for 2 years)
Applicants selected for the Cursus program must confirm their participation in writing and commit to take on any other professional engagements during the program. Classes are held at IRCAM from Monday through Friday, from 10am to 1pm and from 2:30 to 5:30pm. There are two weeks of vacation in December for the holidays.
IRCAM does not give out any scholarships or pay for any travel, but can assist you when looking for financial aid. The Cursus program is considered to be continued professional training.
Contact: cursus (@) ircam.fr
Applicants selected for the Cursus program have the possibility, upon request, to be housed at the Cité internationale des arts de Paris. They will have a studio/room throughout the program. Monthly housing fees are paid by the students.
Furthermore, applicants selected for the Cursus program signed up in the Sacem repertory are eligible for a scholarship. Contact the Sacem directly to request a dossier.
For more information about accessibility, please contact us at cursus ( at ) ircam.fr.
For any complaints, please contact IRCAM through our online complaint form.