Max is a graphical programming language that lets users process, generate, interact with Midi data in audio and video contents as well as all other types of data, for example from sensors.
Upon completion of this course, participants will have acquired the knowledge necessary in advanced programming techniques in Max and its multichannel development resources. They will be able to create complex patches and select the tools (software and hardware) adapted to their project with Max.
The training will be followed by an exam for the Max IRCAM Certificate level 2. This exam evaluates users in a real-life professional situation.
Any creative person who wants to work on a project requiring Max: composers, developers, performers, sound technicians, choreographers, sound creators, video artists, live coders, music or art teachers, makers, etc.
- Participants must be able to attest to sufficient knowledge and skills in Max and its environment or have successfully completed the course Max Initiation
- Good understanding of sequencer software (DAW audio-digital workstation) such as Pro Tools, Logic Pro, or another audio editing software program (WaveLab, SoundStation, Adobe Audition, etc.)
- Good understanding of the English vocabulary used in the software
- Mastery of the basic functions of a Macintosh computer (use of a keyboard and mouse, create and manage files and folders, use menus, launch an application)
- Regular practice of Max 8
- Basic mathematical concepts will facilitate participants' understanding: integers, rational and decimal numbers, sums, subtractions, multiplications, divisions, absolute value, study of simple functions, and definition of a frequency
Prior to the training, it is suggested that participants complete all the tutorials available in the software.
Training Period and Organization
36 hours of training. Monday-Saturday, March 25-30, 2024. 10am-1pm/2:30pm-5:30pm.
10 students maximum
In the event that IRCAM cannot physically welcome students for a program that requires face-to-face instruction, the program and the IRCAM Certificate test will be cancelled.
Jitter will not be addressed.
|Morning||Overview and implementation of a generalized development architecture: input, output, mixing ("dry/wet"), stereo and quadraphonic panning. Generation and use of wave tables in buffers (<buffer~>)|
Multi-channel architecture implementation: introduction of <mc~> objects.
Generalization of sound processing architecture and its application to synthesis and simple processing: additive synthesis, ring modulation, and amplitude tracking
|Afternoon||Polyphony and its poly-procedural generalization: use of <poly~> and its abstractions by its integration in the modules of syntheses and treatments carried out|
Further study and application of the production of a polyphonic sampler
|Afternoon||Management of audio streams by matrixing (<matrix~>, <matrixctl>...) and integration into development architecture|
|Morning and Afternoon||Development of processing in the amplitude/frequency/time domain using the discrete short-time Fourier transform (STFT): use of <pfft~>, its abstractions and specific objects|
|Morning and Afternoon|
Low-level development in Max: discovery of the <gen~> library and its development properties (processing, synthesis and synthesis by physical model)
Review, complementary work
|Afternoon||Exam for IRCAM Certificate - level 2|
Exam for Max IRCAM Certificate - level 2
3 hours // Saturday, March 30, 2024, 2:30pm-5:30pm
10 students maximum
The IRCAM Certificate test is made up of two parts (90 minutes each):
A test of the applicant’s knowledge with open questions and comments on screen captures;
Following a break, a series of exercises is given to the applicant with several concrete cases, with increasing difficulty. The applicant must find solutions, as if they were in a professional situation (test on a Mac computer with Max).
This exam evaluates users in a real-life professional situation.
The jury consists of a teacher (IRCAM Computer Music Designers/ Specialized Instructors) and a specialist in Max.
A certificate with the results will be sent to the participants 3 weeks following the exam.
Educational Resources and Techniques
- Classroom equipped with computers with all the necessary software installed, headphones, and MIDI keyboards;
- Class Format: Training alternates between presentations, explanations on theory, studying examples to analyze, and hands-on exercises;
- Didactic Materials: Video-projected presentations. A class guide will be given at the beginning of each training session and all complementary files will be given as needed.
- IRCAM Certificate exam for Max, level 2 taken at the end of training. Test of the applicant’s knowledge with open questions and comments on screen captures, exercises on concrete cases (3 hours).
- Welcome the first day of training beginning at 9:45am
- Attendance controlled; signature of an attendance sheet required every morning and afternoon
- A certificate at the end of the program is given to each participant with the results of the exam