The Spatialisator is a software dedicated to real-time spatialization processing of sound signals in the contexts of musical creation, post-production, and live concert situations. During this program participants discover spatialization techniques first without and then with the Spatializer.
Upon completion of the program, participants will have acquired a foundation of the perception of space and the various spatialization techniques. They will be able to build, in Max, their own spatialization modules and control them in real-time or off-line, using a range of writing and control methods. They will master the basics of the Spatialisateur.
Composers, musicians, sound engineers, teachers, etc.
- Participants must be able to justify a good knowledge of Max and its environment: completion of the basic Max tutorials (Basic tutorials 1 to 22, Data tutorials 1 to 5, MIDI tutorials 1 to 5 and Max tutorials 1 to 18 ) or to have followed the Max Initiation course
- Possess a good knowledge of technical English vocabulary and terms used in common audio software
- A good knowledge of an audio sequencer (Protools, Logic Pro, Reaper...) is also recommended
- Mastery of the basic functions of a Macintosh computer (use of a keyboard and mouse, create and manage files and folders, use menus, launch an application)
Training Period and Organization
24 hours of training. Tuesday-Friday, February 6-9, 2024, 2024. 10am-1pm/2:30pm-5:30pm
10 students maximum
In the event that IRCAM cannot physically welcome students for a program that requires face-to-face instruction, the program will be cancelled.
Introduction to the theory of spatial listening and the general principles of spatialization
Learning to spatialize using Max standard objects
|Creation of a quadraphonic sound
Creation of a reverberation
Introduction to the basic concepts and features of the Spatialisateur in Max
|Analysis and hands-on work on some typical configurations: broadcasting on 4, 8 speakers, with different panning techniques (vbap, binaural, 5.1, etc.)
Parameter memorization: creation of presets
Writing of elementary trajectories with messages
External source controllers (iPad, joystick, sequencers)
|Introduction to other spatialization methods: WFS, High Order Ambisonics (HOA)
Preparation of patches, including several spatialization techniques studied throughout the week (Envelopes, Vbap, HOA) for Studio 1 (24 speakers)
Listening sessions in Studio 1
Educational Resources and Techniques
- Classroom equipped with computers iMac with all the necessary software installed, headphones, and MIDI keyboards
- Class Format: Training alternates explanations on theory and hands-on exercises
- Didactic Materials: Video-projected presentations and documents
- Welcome the first day of training beginning at 9:45am
- Attendance controlled; signature of an attendance sheet required every morning and afternoon
- A certificate at the end of the program is given to each participant with the results of the exam
- Evaluation of projects carried out throughout the program and assessment of knowledge in the form of a multiple choice question