This course offers participants the opportunity to conceive the sounds for an object of tomorrow based on the object itself, a group of sketches, or a video support that presents its principle phases of use.
The program features several distinct steps: reflection on new uses that could be enhanced by sounds, elaboration of scenarios and sound sketches, proposition and recording of sounds, processing these sounds using sound synthesis tools to create an audiovisual work that will be assessed in terms of specific criteria defined in the beginning of the project.
This project and its methodology use skills from different disciplines—acoustic, psychoacoustic, sound signal processing, experimental psychology—that are also addressed during the course.
Upon completion of this training, participants will have acquired knowledge in the domain of sound design and the associated scientific and technological processes. They will be able to put in place the steps necessary for a new sound design approach: analysis, the development of a scenario for use, an explanation based on a sound sketch, the proposal of a solution.
Sound designers, sound artists, students in sound-related fields
Mastery of a sequencer software program such as ProTools, LogicAudio, and a sound editor like Audacity;
Mastery of the Macintosh environment (OS X).
Attendance controlled; signature of an attendance sheet required every morning and afternoon.
A certificate at the end of the program is given to each participant with the results of the exam.
|Morning||Introduction, presentation and analysis of a case study:|
- General introduction to the class
|Afternoon||Environments and tools for sound creation:|
- Use an environment for the production of a sound sketch based on vocal production
- Use editing software (Ableton Live)
- Use IRCAM technologies for sound processing (Ircamax plugins).
|Morning||Introduction to sound design, basics and principles:|
- History and general concepts
- Connection with psychoacoustics
|Afternoon||Case study: presentation of a fictional project and its conception|
- Study and analyze the requirements of a project
- Inspiration and generation of ideas.
|Morning||Case study: realization of the 1st step of the project|
- Production of sketches and sound sketches using a software environment developed during the SKAT-VG project.
|Afternoon||Case study: realization of the 2nd step of the project|
- Work and transformation of the sketches: refine selected sketches at the end of step 1 in Live with processing plugins
- Final editing and the sound solution.
|Morning||Case study: presentation and comparison of the different projects|
- Presentation of the project: summarizing ideas on which the project is based, present them visually and/or with an audio support, defend the ideas
- Collective presentation and analysis by students and teachers.
|Afternoon||Discussion, assessment, conclusion:|
- Presentation of a real case study
- Assessment of knowledge acquired during the training
- Conclusion and wrap-up.