Studios of Creation
Since 2007, the “Studios of Creation” have had a simple, but demanding, goal: offer students in professional high schools, far from the world of art and its institutions, a dive into the heart of contemporary creation throughout an entire school year, simultaneously addressing the visual arts, the arts of sound, and new technologies for creation.
Initiated by the Centre Pompidou and IRCAM, this artistic education program has expanded since 2010 with the participation of several structures outside Paris. For more than 20 hours, at school and in the museum, through encounters with artists and performances, the students explore a work of art over several weeks. They go beyond their first impression and analyze the materials, the processes at work in the artwork, learn to use techniques for sound capture and work in the studio, refine their sight and hearing.
Students develop a new relationship with their daily lives, with the professional world; they test the creative process through the creation of a sound scene imagined like a personal reading of a visual artwork. Through this progressive appropriation, the students themselves become the intermediary between the artworks and another audience, the employees of the company where they are interns during a presentation of the project, but also during a full day of presentations held every year at IRCAM and the Centre Pompidou.
Students in vocational and agricultural high schools
Information 01 44 78 47 70 | info-pedagogie(@)ircam.fr
In partnership with the Grame, Centre national de création musical, and the festival Musiques démesurées. With the support of the Interfaces network, subventionné par le programme Europe Créative de l'Union européenne.
Studios of Creation 2018.19
Commitments of the label
The projects that conform to the "Les Ateliers de la creation" label must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the project’s objectives defined on the web platform (multidisciplinary, ambition to train students, teaching methods focused on an aesthetic experience and work on art)
- Create a coherent and explicit project based on the school’s context and project in collaboration with local cultural partners
- Commit to a well-thought out pedagogical project that will be documented so the experience and results can be shared on the web platform.
The Centre Pompidou and IRCAM offer:
- Expertise offered to the project coordinators from setting up the project to the project’s implementation and action, assistance with reflection on the pedagogical project
- The possibility for students and project coordinators to take part in a day when all classes taking part in the Studios of Creation present the results of their projects and visit the two institutions
- Financial aid to facilitate the documentation of the project and the trip to Paris at the end of the year
The 26 students in their 2nd year of the vocational high school program SAPAT (Services aux Personnes et aux Territoires) discovered works by Romuald Jandolo during the exhibition Il n’y a pas de place pour nous at the Halle de Pont-en Royans in order to carry out their workshop with the composer Anthony Clerc. Romuald Jandolo combines volume and performance in his work, with inspiration from circus artists and folklore, evoking the marginal aspects of our society in which he grew up, his itinerant childhood with vivid colors and fragmented forms. The students’ choice was based on the exhibition’s centerpiece, which shared its name with the show, mixing mediums, materials, and investing the space in a unique manner, destined to change.
Romuald Jandolo, Il n’y a pas de place pour nous (2019)
Burnt wood, metal, sand, murals, ceramics, glass, and bronze
Founded by Pierre Alain Jaffrennou and James Giroudon in 1982, today Grame is one of 6 centers that make up the network of French national centers for musical creation (Centre National de Création Musicale), a certification created by the French Ministry of Culture in 1997.
Its mission is to promote the conception and production of new musical works and to construct in a context of cross-cutting arts and synergy between the arts and sciences.
Grame is a home and residence for composers, performers, researchers, and artists from a broad range of disciplines engaged in a process of innovation. They find a high-level technical environment, accompanied by artistic and technological assistance. About 20 French and foreign composers, as well as different artistic teams, are invited in residence each season.
Creations and mixes can be found through the variety of instrumental ensembles, from soloists to large ensembles. New productions touch concert forms as well as shows, operas, performance art, or exhibitions with sound and visual installations.
A venue dedicated to creation and driven by the desire to present different facets of contemporary art, the art center is part of a momentum of support for contemporary art, openness and experimentation.
A wide range of artistic approaches and research is proposed each season. Over the years, the Halle has also invited several artists to produce in situ exhibitions in close connection with the local region.
Exhibitions are accompanied by numerous satellite activities (artist residencies, off-site projects, publishing, etc.) and cultural activities (conferences, visits, encounters, etc.).
Although particular attention is paid to artistic education for the youngest; the numerous partnerships with local cultural actors give rise to diverse events that allow us to reach out to all audiences.
The 30 students from the Lycée Polyvalent Joël Bonté de Riom’s woodworking program visited the travelling group exhibition Troisième Lieu at the Salle Gilbert-Gaillard in Clermont-Ferrand. They chose the works "Sous Revêtement" and "Forme et Asso" by Zach Mitlas. They then created, thanks to the interventions of the composer Aude Fournier, a musical scene inspired by the two works. In addition, the students imagined and created a wooden sculpture to complete the sound scene using their specific skills.
The exhibition Troisième Lieu, imagined by the Macedonian curator Jovanka Popova, presents a series of works from diverse artistic disciplines, highlighting young European contemporary artists, around the themes of living together, solidarity and community. The Troisième Lieu (lit. third place) being approached as a space for political, cultural, geographical, and economic encounters. Zach Mitlas, trained in the United States, is one of the representatives of young French contemporary artists.
30 3rd-Year Students in the Woodworking Program:
- Professional baccalaureate: TMA (Technicien Menuisier Agenceur)
- Professional baccalaureate TCB (Technicien Constructeur Bois)
Musiques démesurées is an annual festival for contemporary and experimental music held in Clermont-Ferrand since 1999.
The salle Gilbert-Gaillard located in the historic heart of Clermont-Ferrand, is a multi-disciplinary exhibition space which, since 2014, organizes temporary exhibitions.
How is a project certified?
To obtain the "Les Ateliers de la creation" label, you must send a dossier with the following elements:
- The names and addresses of the school and cultural partners selected in the region
- The class’ specialty and level
- A presentation of the members of the project’s team members, including the instructors involved in the project, cultural mediators, and teacher-coordinator
- A statement (4,000 – 6,000 characters long) addressing:
- The project’s aim
- An explanation of how the project’s methodology and objectives relate to the pilot project “The Studios of Creation” (common or specific axes, new organizational suggestions, contents, documentation)
- The articulation of the project with that of the school, and its inclusion in the educational policy of the cultural partners
- A provisional calendar indicating the dates IRCAM and the Centre Pompidou will be involved
Criteria for selection rely primarily on:
- The pertinence of the suggested project in regards to the major educational priorities of the pilot project
- The suitability of the project in regards to the school’s educational project
- The uniqueness with which the project formulates these educational priorities in a specific project that fosters shared reflections
- The soundness and implication of the cultural partners in the project
- The teacher team’s motivation